Yesterday, I sent the bulk of KCC2 off to Genius Book Designer (hint, I make the knitting pretty…she makes the book pretty and useable…we like her). Now this in no way means the book is done. It just means all of the patterns and the bulk of the other text is ready for her to work her magic. It’s one of those milestones I talked about. It’s not an endpoint (that doesn’t come until the book goes off to the printer), but it is a nice little resting point. So, after sending off the book, I decided to do something in no way related to knitting or writing or, well, work. Right in the middle of the day. With no guilt.
It all started with a candle. You know those candles in glass jars? The ones you burn down and then you’ve got the jar and you’re not quite sure what to do with it because it’s kind of cool and feels too useful to throw away but really it’s sort of pointless? Yeah. I know you’ve got some, we all do. I decided to do something with one. I wanted a terrarium.
I had the jar, and goodness knows I’ve got oodles of rocks and shells and sticks around here. I wandered through the yard and found a few bits of moss and some pebbles. I also snagged some potting stuff for the moss to live on.
Pebbles on the bottom for drainage…then a bit of potting stuff…then some moss, rocks, shell, and driftwood. A few minutes of shifting and adjusting and arranging, and it’s done. I’m thinking it will take a few days to settle in and look established, but even at this early stage I sort of love it.
We’ll see how it does. The jar has a lid that I may put on if it needs help holding moisture, but for now I’m leaving it off while I learn what it likes. My hope is that, since the moss had been growing on bricks and on a moldy old hunk of wood, it will be fairly hardy. I may just possibly make a second one with a tiny plastic dinosaur. These things happen.